View Single Post
Old 06-08-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
fintip
fintip began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Odd... SO disabled itself?

I took a picture with a friend's camera before clicking 'ok' in case no one believes me, but out of the blue my kindle popped up an info bubble informing me that special offers had been removed from my kindle.

I clicked ok, and then I stopped having ads--no bar at bottom of index, and regular, non-ad screen savers.

This was on a 4.1.0 kindle, not jailbroken.

I had just turned on Wifi for the first time in a while, by the way.

---

Now, frustratingly, the story continues: I hadn't looked into the KT hack scene since Christmas last year, when YL had just put out the simple screen saver and there was nothing else. At that point, if you had ads, the best you could hope for was one custom screen saver, not the 99 others could have. I didn't care enough to do that, but I jailbroke it anyways, in case the mp3 hack later would become disabled.

Well that kindle got left out in the rain. Amazon offered to replace it, so they mailed me a new one a month ago, and asked that I mail my old one back. (Random odd bunny trail: while the new one was coming in, the old one dried out and came back to life. Impressive. Mailed the old one back anyways.)

So this new one I've had for a month shipped with 4.1.0 on it, and was unjailbroken when the above story happened earlier today. So no ads--I can finally have screen savers! I went online and read up on the state of hacks (lots has been happening! Way to go guys!), and found that the mp3 hack wouldn't work, but the 'universal hack' looked like what I needed, so I ran that successfully.

And then... ads are back? Or... Sort of? Now I have a bar at the bottom saying "Please connect wirelessly to download the latest Special Offers", even though I'm on 3G. I hadn't reset the Kindle, so maybe just resetting it did that, but somehow I doubt it. Anyways, I'm bummed.

Anyways: Is there a way to get multiple screen savers on my Kindle or not? In the wiki, it says:

Quote:
Removing Ads
Using the launcher and this extension we can run a script that removes ads permanently, changing the kindle into a non-ad supported version. You can then use the screen saver hack, etc. http://ebookjuggler.com/kindle/remov...-kindle-touch/ Original thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164261
However, I imagine that's hyperbole; does this script just change out the ads for custom pictures, or does it actually make the kindle capable of running the full simple screen saver hack (as it appears there's a newer one, but it only works with older firmware kindles) and allowing 99 custom pictures?

fintip is offline   Reply With Quote