View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I appreciate my ereader all over again

A long story, bear with me please...

My dear husband knows I love Murakami so he got me 1Q84 for Christmas. He did not know that I already have it on my ereader, and I didn't tell him. So that he wouldn't find out, I had to read the darn thing in the big heavy hardcover (it's 920 longer-than-normal pages).

Well I fell in love with this big book (and not just the story). I appreciated the heft of it, Chip Kidd's beautiful design, the wacky floating page numbers on the side, the elegant typeface. The whole experience of reading a nice fat hardcover. Maybe the bloom is off the rose of my ereader, I thought, and I will start reading more "real" books. (Plus let's face it, the golden age of library ebooks is also fading...)

And then I got sick. I had swollen glands, body aches, chills, etc. I had to rest but every way I turned in bed, I could not get comfortable, let alone lie in bed and try to hold up a giant book. I just couldn't do it. I had a lot of doctor's appointments and I didn't want to carry the heavy thing with me. Then I got a rash on my face (you don't want to know) and it was uncomfortable to wear my glasses.

So I switched to the ereader, and it was much more comfortable for me. I could hold it in bed much more easily, and I could boost the font size and read without glasses. I really see how fantastic an ereader can be for people with disabilities. Maybe when I get really old I will reach a point where it's got to be on the ereader, or I won't read it. But until then, I will enjoy both ebooks and pbooks for their respective merits.

And I will also enjoy putting the big fat 1Q84 hardcover in some prominent place on my bookshelf when I'm done with it, so that everyone can see what a SERIOUS reader I am. If I ever finish the darn thing.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote