View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #42
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
@Bookworm-girl: this explanation of the use of 'tanti' sounds right. An interesting find.

About fox hunting; it is forbidden as such since 2004. That must have been a minor revolution in some parts of England
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunting_Act_2004
I recall reading about that with some interest when the debate over the law was going on. I may not recollect accurately but I seem to recall that “The Royals” (including I think Prince Charles) expressed opposition to the ban.

Just as an odd fact, a number of years after wolves were reintroduced into Wisconsin they were recently taken off of the protected species list and now hunters can hunt them. The idea of wolves in Wisconsin has always been controversial. Some people appreciate the reintroduction as part of restoring some areas to a state closer to historically natural, while others would like to see wolves once more entirely eliminated. The legislature and governor elected in 2010 was sympathetic to the latter view and so when the law allowing wolf hunting was passed it included the use of bait, traps, dogs, and night hunting with lights; things generally not allowed for sport hunting of other animals.