View Single Post
Old 04-19-2005, 07:13 AM   #7
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
ignatz, thanks for this LONG review! One question: Considering that an iPod 20GB is available for less than $300 USD these days, so getting closer to the price of your unit, would you still buy the Cowon or consider the iPod instead?
No, I really wouldn't. I certainly admire the design of the iPod. It's beautiful, it sits well in the hand, and the controls are very good. However, the limitations are too severe. You have to access it through iTunes, it has no microphone or recording capacity. And the formats it plays are limited. My music is in ogg, wma, and mp3. I don't want to have to convert it again to drop it into my device.

Also, I really like having a remote and it was that desire that drove most of my search. When I used my T|E for playing, I found it really annoying to have to pull it out of my pocket to pause every time someone came to talk to me. I did a lot of research into building a remote that would work with the T|E, but came up dry. The remote is a bit of a trade off, as I said. If you just listen when you're working out, or just to music that you don't mind having interrupted, then perhaps a remote doesn't make sense for you. But if you listen to books and podcasts and want to catch every word, a remote makes it easier to pause and start again.

So no, I like my choice! Glad you liked the review. Sorry it's a bit rambling...