View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Skibble
Runs With Scissors
Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thanks for that info, Turtle, and also your suggestion, JSWolf.

I've done a bunch of experimenting, and have gotten the best results by converting the ePubs to AZW3. My primary test file was an ePub with a cover image that was 322 KB. The image doesn't appear to have been downgraded at all in conversion to AZW3. I stress the word appear, as I cannot confirm what is (or isn't) happening behind the scenes during conversion. The results speak for themselves, though. I cannot discern a difference between the cover in the AZW3 file and the original image, except for it being displayed in black-and-white. This was not the case when I converted the ePub to Mobi; the Mobi image was very obviously downgraded.

I'm going to proceed with converting everything to AZW3 without tweaking the original images in the ePub files. I'm relieved that I won't have to bother with that latter step -- I have a lot of books with illustrations!

Last edited by Skibble; 02-05-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Skibble is offline   Reply With Quote