View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpider View Post
...The text on pages 3, 9, 12, 19, 22 (and maybe more) of the first attachement isn't selectable. It's like the program forgot to OCR it or something.
Most of the text on these pages (3, 9, ...) is selectable using Sumatra PDF on my PC. K2pdfopt will not OCR text within a figure (at this time).

Quote:
Judging by the misalignment of some of the text, and the low quality (not scaling upon zooming), I'd say that these documents are just images with positional OCR behind them.
K2pdfopt does OCR by using PDF text directives to put text invisibly behind the bitmap-rendered text (it can be made visible by selecting the right options), just like most scanning software which uses OCR. The resolution of the converted file is entirely selectable. Using "-dr 2", for example, will double the resolution of the converted file.

Quote:
Opening it in Adobe Reader and going to File -> Properties, it says that the document is 3.37 x 4.43 inches, which InDesign translated as 242.64 x 318.96 pixels! That's very, very low on a Paperwhite (758×1024, according to Wikipedia), or even the rest of the Kindles (600x800).
I think it's probably 242.64 x 318.96 points, not pixels. They are not the same. There are 72 points per inch (hence 3.37 inches = 242.6 points--pixel resolutions would not typically be listed as fractional values, in any case). The page images in the PDF file attachments are 560 x 735 pixels because that is the Kindle 2 display resolution. Like I said, using "-dr 2" would increase the resolution to 1120 x 1470 pixels, but would also cause the output file to take up more room (bigger file size in bytes).
willus is offline   Reply With Quote