View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #55
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I like "The Ten Commandments" better than the book. :-)

While I think that LotR in book form is better, I do see where people who like the movie better are coming from. Tolkien is inconsistent (maybe there's a better word) as a stylist. I.e., some parts of LotR are tight and very well written (many of the battle scenes; the scouring of the shire; the unexpected party; most bits with Gandalf; most bits with Gollum); but other parts would benefit from a good editing - the section on the Ents, for example - but also a lot of the Sam and Frodo scenes after they've left Rivendell. (And the class differences between Frodo and Sam seem dated and out of place in the book). Also, I think Merry and Pippin are supposed to be comic relief but then develop into more serious characters...but I don't think they are actually that funny to begin with - and then their transformation into serious characters isn't that convincing either.

I'm not into Tom Bombadil, but I don't think that's an editing or writing issue - I don't really care for the characters or the plot...but I think they are pretty much what Tolkien wanted.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote