View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 03:58 PM   #13
deeplyblue
deeplyblue can self-interpret dreams as they happen.deeplyblue can self-interpret dreams as they happen.deeplyblue can self-interpret dreams as they happen.deeplyblue can self-interpret dreams as they happen.deeplyblue can self-interpret dreams as they happen.deeplyblue can self-interpret dreams as they happen.deeplyblue can self-interpret dreams as they happen.deeplyblue can self-interpret dreams as they happen.deeplyblue can self-interpret dreams as they happen.deeplyblue can self-interpret dreams as they happen.deeplyblue can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle, Nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What happens is that you go into the eBook to fix something like changing the generic cover for the real cover and then you find the crappy code that you must fix in case you need to go back in again.
<Groan> The trouble that impulse has got me into.

The thing is that with Sigil you can ignore the code when all you want to correct are typos - just stick to Book View.

But if you want to fix the way a cover displays, then you have to face structural issues - and that inevitably leads you into markup codes. I used to be able to do some quite clever things with WordPerfect for DOS - which required you to be able to see the codes. And later I got into writing simple macros for Word.

So I know what bad coding looks like and once you see stuff like horrors tex produced for us, then you don't have to know anything about this markup language to know that it's being badly done. And also, fatally, that you could do better. All that's needed is ...

And that's the next few weeks (at least) gone while you get to grips with the odd bits of syntax you need and the odder bits of code which you produce.

The really unkind bit is that, having spent all that time, you discover that 2 of the problems you went in to fix aren't fixable. It's murder trying to get anything to replace those horrid covers and can't be done for some combinations - like the one where on a Kindle Fire HD you can get the cover to show as a thumbnail in the list of books in the menu, but it disappears as soon as it gets to the carousel. And (thanks to Hitch for confirming this one) the Kindle DX (original e-ink but without the keyboard) won't indent quotations both sides not no how.
deeplyblue is offline   Reply With Quote