View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 03:01 AM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
This is a really good conversion. The hyperlinking makes it so much easier to trace a proposition back to the axioms. As the original Latin title reminds us, Spinoza was aiming to apply the methods of Euclidean proof to philosophical enquiry, and this conversion makes the process much easier.

For completeness, I'll just mention some bibliographical details:

Author: Baruch [Benedict] Spinoza, 1632-1677
Title: Ethics [Ethica Ordine Geometrico Demonstrata]
Translated from the Latin by R. H. M. Elwes (1853-?]

Incidentally, are you the person who uploaded the Project Gutenberg version, Tom?
Long story, but yes; the present complete PG version is "mine". I had originally downloaded the version they had at the time to use as the backbone of my present hyper-linked version. Long story short, I found a lot of typos in that version, which I proof-read against a paper version of the Elwes’ translation. After the conversion, I contacted Michael Hart (the Project's founder) and let him know what I had done, and offered him both the hyper-linked Word document (this was before the days of e-readers) and the corrected text version. If I recall correctly, at the time Project Gutenberg only offered text files. I believe mine was the only Word document available for download on the site.

The hyper-linked document I submitted to Project Gutenberg has long since vanished into limbo on their site (at least I can't find it). Mr. Hart gave me the credit for the current text version; although, in truth, I was only the proof-reader/editor. Someone else had already done the heavy lifting of scanning or typing the original text.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-25-2009 at 04:14 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote