View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #18
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Imaginary problems. You have apparently never lost a library of DRM-ed music worth thousands of euro's. One of my friends has, because the company who sold that music doesn't exist anymore. The player used to play these files will never work again as there is no DRM-server to contact. I warned him, but he too thought I was making a fuss out of it. He has nothing now. I still have a huge library in FLAC, ripped from my own CD's. More work, but (almost) safe, whatever happens.

Movie publishers, game publishers and even software makers are moving to an online only model. It's the main reason why I want to get out of IT as a job; today rather than tomorrow. Why shouldn't Amazon move to online only? Just because you don't think it's likely?

I don't agree, and you and I obviously think differently about this.

Think about it. DRM on your furniture! Having to call before you may sit down. Seller goes broke, and someone comes to your house to take your seats and TV away (streaming service) or seal them away (DRM encryption) so you can't use them. Sounds ridiculous? It's what essentialy is the case with software, music, books, and movies that depend on streaming or contain DRM. And I won't have any of it. If it can be avoided, I don't buy DRM-ed stuff, but sadly it's not always possible. In that case, I contend myself with being able to remove it immediately.

Should I start using cloud services, then it'll be on my own NAS. "Cloud" is just fancy, hip name of a place where a file is available online and can be synced between devices / computers. Nothing more. It has existed for two decades or even longer.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-06-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote