View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 12:56 AM   #1
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Web Server XML data

Caveat: Please read my entire post before saying this isn't a Calibre thing!

I recently purchased an android phone, and was excited to see an android app that ostensibly would sync with my calibre library through the web service that's built into calibre. For readers' edification, this is the app:
https://market.android.com/details?i...breLibrary.apk

The app performs very well, syncing just fine, with minimal setup, with calibre...with one little problem: it would only show .epub, .pdf, and a few other lesser formats. This was dismaying to me because I am a kindle owner, and the vast majority of my 1000+ ebooks are in .mobi format. After much back and forth with the app's author, basically, it came down to this, according to him:

Calibre doesn't push xml info for other formats such as .lit, .mobi, .azw, etc.

1. Is this so?
2. If it is, why doesn't it?

Understand, I am NOT trying to get any of the authors here to do the guy's work for him, I'm simply asking if he's correct in that statement. If he is, is there a good reason that calibre doesn't include other formats in the xml push? I'm asking as a layperson with no knowledge, so if someone tells me that there is a good reason, I'll accept it and move on. I'm hoping, however, that it's a legacy issue that might be updated in a future release.

To be clear, I'm just wondering if, and or why, the xml push doesn't include the other formats. It clearly DOES include them in some other manner, because they show up just fine in any web browser used to access the server.

If kovid or someone other developer thinks it would be helpful to see the emails, I'd be happy to provide them, or open a ticket if one of you thinks it would be helpful.

Steps I took to confirm various aspects of my post, here:

1. I used calibre's built-in test function (in the web server section) to ensure that, in fact, all of my books are being pushed, including .mobi and .epubs. There were, of course.

2. I checked that this was so in my android's browser. It was so.

3. I tested the app author's statement that his app was showing the xml scrape that calibre is putting out, by going to http://server:8080/stanza/ in my browser, where server is my local access to it. He was correct, the stanza server was only displaying epubs et al.

Last edited by gweminence; 02-15-2011 at 01:33 AM.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote