View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
I've been using handheld portable device since the original Palm Pilot Pro and I can tell you that the screen on the Touch beats the heck out of anything else out there.
I must, with the greatest respect, disagree with you. The iPod Touch has a perfectly standard 480x320 "half VGA" LCD screen, exactly the same as is used on many PDAs. It is a very nice screen, I agree, but it's neither better nor worse than such a screen on any other machine.

I honestly don't think that the Touch makes a particularly good bookreader because:

1. The battery life is poor compared with many PDAs - you'll get around 4-5h usage reading. My iPaq PDA will give me at least double that, plus it has a replaceable battery so I can carry a spare battery if I'm going on a long trip.

2. The range of reading software is currently poor. This will undoubtedly change in the future, but at present there's a hugely wider range of software available for both Palm and Pocket PC devices.

3. You have to jump through hoops to get content onto the device, rather than simply copying files via USB as you can with any other machine.

The iPod Touch is a very nice device indeed - I use mine for all sorts of things - but, IMHO at least, there are much better portable devices around if you want something to use primarily as an eBook reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote