Thread: Literary Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #66
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I'm in the group that has to fight to read this book that's why I'm late here in this thread.
Although I appreciate the good composition and style I can't say I like the book, the topic is too dark. But - it really keeps my mind occupied and thinking and it goes to the heart. In this sense it is great art.

I have a question that may be a little bit naive because simply no one of us can know. But I am wondering how realistic is the person of Humbert?
Is this really how a paedophile "works"? Is this something we can "learn" from the book?
Of course, I'm mostly thinking of his feelings and thoughts with regard to Lolita but also of his attitude towards "the rest of the world". In my mind this is a little bit over-caricatured, his "love" of the little girls and his arrogance and disgust towards almost all of the other persons.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote