View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimulkan View Post
Subject->Category->Author (or Sub-category)->Title Novels/SciFi/Vance/BlueWorld.pdf
Math/Geometry/Differential/Foundations-Michor.djvu
Comics/Manga/Berserk/Chapter01.cbr.

That way, novels, which you will probably want to access by Author, are indexed correctly but do not end up being too cluttered, as they are divided into SciFi, Fiction etc., while textbooks are still indexed by subject. Other unrelated things like comics and journal articles live in their own tree.
I think I might leans toward
Category->Author->Title
Ex. Novel->David Balducci->title
This is somewhere between Grimulkan and epiphany. epiphany appears not to include subject. In my mind I prefer thinking of it as Category->subject.

Just based on the author I will know if it is fiction or non-fiction. If I can easily recognize the Subject matter then I won't need that division until the listing crosses over one or more pages. Then as the collection grows I will want to add an additional level of complexity and organize it as
Category->Subject->Author->title acknowledging the clutter comment.

Not sure I am ready to commit to the organizational setup just yet but I have to do something soon. I didn't like my breakout by publisher for the programming books for the long haul but in the short term it made sense.

Thanks for all the ideas. It is also refreshing to discuss how we use the device rather than always discussing everything that is not working or wrong with it.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote