Thread: Western Novels
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2024, 12:54 PM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
You named some classics already. Lonesome Dove is an incredible book.

Try Charles Portis' True Grit

Another classic author would be Elmore Leonard. He has some terrific westerns: Hombre, Valdez is Coming, Forty Lashes Less One and several others.

When it comes to Western movies, I favor the Italian spaghetti westerns with their grimier world view and moral ambiguity.

In the late sixties and early seventies, there was a group of English authors who became known as the Piccadilly Cowboys. They wrote books with the same mood as those spaghetti westerns. They have a cult following,so these old books have been resurrected as cheap ebooks.

kyrilson already mentioned George Gilman's Edge series (which I'll second).

Other good series from these guys would be:

Neil Hunter's Bodie the Stalker

James Marvin's Crow

Stand-alone, there's Richard Wyler's Incident at Butler's Station

Modern authors, I enjoy Peter Brandvold. I'd recommend his five book Colter Farrow series, available as a cheap digital omnibus: The Saga of Colter Farrow and his standalone: Blood Mountain

Charles G. West's Shoot-out at Broken Bow

Marcus Galloway's Death of a Bad Man
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote