View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #24
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
I haven't been following this brouhaha other than reading a few posts here at MR.

Is the problem primarily outside of the U.S.? I ask only because I noticed the people posting with missing towns and moving airports were located throughout the world but didn't notice anyone from the states.

I live in the western part of the country, a city of approximately 2 million people, and a cursory check of my regular haunts showed they were all where they should be.
I saw quite a few USA examples of incorrect locations listed for businesses, schools and universities, etc. So it does effect USA. It looks like there is a screwed up database for locations being used. Also the map rendering engine looks like it needs a lot of work, especially in the 3D maps.

EDIT: It looks like TomTom maps are the main source for the new maps app. TomTom bought up Tele Atlas back in 2008 and that database is the main source they use, but they supplement that data with countless other sources. Whether TomTom does a good job of supplementing to provide accurate maps is another topic, but I know they are not known for having stellar maps. Google also used Tele Atlas but I'm not sure if they still do. However, Google also supplements their map data via many sources including their own map vehicles which drive around verifying map locations and taking photos. My guess is that Google does a much more thorough job than TomTom, especially in the USA.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-24-2012 at 12:12 PM.