View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #9
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
[QUOTE=Williamlk;1159204]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I am not talking about professional reviewers (Though I would love to hear some feedback from them as well) I am more interested in the process the average reader may go through when choosing to review.
It depends on the reader. Just to give you an example, I have traded Fictionwise passwords with my sister in the past and between us, we have probably purchased at least 500 books. Of those, less than half a dozen were of mutual interest. She has far too much trashy supernatural erotica for my taste, and for her part she finds my preferences (mystery, and the occasional pulp sci-fi, or Star Trek novel) equally appalling. A book that would jump out at me would totally pass her by.

There are a few things I categorically will not do because I know they won't appeal to me. I am not a huge fantasy fan (with a few rare exceptions) and tend to ignore anything where the blurb has characters named 'Lord' something, or where they have funny names misspelled from regular ones, or with many apostrophes. And, Star Trek novels aside, I am not a huge fan of the space opera. Those are personal tastes though and have nothing to do with reviewing. If it is a genre I like, and the description grabs me, I will read the sample and go from there.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote