Thread: MobileRead Discussion/Suggestion Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #234
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemc View Post
This! ^^^^

While I generally do not participate, I love reading the nomination, voting and discussion threads. Their value for me is in the exposure to new books I would not normally consider. Unfortunately, the threads have been cluttered with way too many club rules and book category nit-picking which to me have zero value to the discussion of the books themselves. I thought this is supposed to be a book club, not some super secret society with special handshakes and such.
So, why not do away with categories? Just nominate some books each month and pick one to read? That is actually a great idea. It would eliminate trying to decide if a book is in a category... or if Sci-Fi is separate from Fantasy, etc.

Yes.. the founding members of the book club meant it to be very informal way to get a group of people to discuss the same book after having read it. Matter of fact, the first book was selected without nominations or votes.

But, the secret handshake.... it is COOL and will never go away.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote