View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 06:49 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
If copyrights expired in 5 years instead of a lifetime, I think this would all work out pretty reasonable on all sides, even with DRM issues. And those that say we wouldn't see exciting content are going to have to be a lot more convincing to get me to even start to believe that.

Besides, isn't copyright meant to be the best balance FOR THE PUBLIC! It's supposed to protect profits enough to ensure we see content developed (it's no good for any of us if there's no profit and we only get shoestring content from those who only do it for fun), and yet maximize the benefit to the public of available material (I think everyone seems to have forgotten the part about being in the best interest of the public).

I just don't see how it is in the best interest of the public to allow content providers to control every aspect of how you can use content and how long you can use it. Some control makes sense to me. But 50 or more years of content protection being in the best interest of the public?? Give me a break!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote