View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #227
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
In terms of mainstream stores, there is a device/store lock-in for all three of the major players. Amazon cannot do ePub, and nobody else can do .mobi, so it's Amazon/Kindle if you go that route. For B&N, nobody can read their books except the Nook, so once again you're locked. Consequently, this basically forces Sony Reader buyers on to the Sony store for their books.
Not 100% true, actually... I have multiple Kobo books on my 950, since Kobo's software/store works seamlessly with Sony readers. According to a Kobo employee posting in the MR Kobo forum, their store syncs with several other devices as well, though of course not the Kindle.

I also have multiple ebooks from independent sources and stores, since Sony readers can do ePub formats without any effort on their part and the vast majority of independent publishers that I've found seem to use that format.

So a more accurate description would be that these devices all default to their own exclusive stores. The reason I wanted a Sony reader is because it seemed to be better at handling books from alternative sources than either the Nook or the Kindle is.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote