View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Well, "exactly like" is probably something you won't get, page sizes and font sizes in the printed book will not match screen sizes and font sizes in the ebook (if only because in the ebook they can be changed by the user).
Yes, I chose my words a bit unfortunate there. What I ment was that i would like the same content to be laid out by the reader in the same way, but of course fonts and sizes/margins and so on will be different from reader to reader. But I would like to preserve all the content in the digital edition

Quote:
Otherwise, I agree with ATDrake that a table seems OK here
Nice to hear that, because it will be much easier to use tables to format column layout, since that's what they're best at. I've always heard that tables should be avoided since they are little flexible to reflow and that it is wrong to chose tables just for straightening out layout-issues.

Quote:
Lists are fine for webpages, but I avoid them in books (at least in non-technical books). They don't have enough flexibility in the current specs.
With "current specs", I assume that you mean and an "old" CSS so that there are many things whics are impossible to do.being unable to choose whether the numbers in the ordered list should be left- or right-aligned, and to set a start value to <li> without using css counters, which epub does not support? It's unfortunate that epub requires both a very stringent HTML and an "old" CSS so that there are many things that are impossible to do.

Quote:
That could be my choice... if the ePUB spec supported inline-block.

What you could do is use the table-* display values for your divs and spans. This should give an equivalent result to a table, but you are not coding directly a table, and you could change the layout just by altering the CSS.
Forum indicates that inline-block might not be supported, but I will try to use display:table-* on spans. Will all readers support the display:table*-property? It would be sad if the table of contents were collaped to that every line looked like:
chapter1Title1Page1
chapter2Title2Page2
If the display:table property is not properly supported on most major platform, I might wish to go for a <table> just to make things compatible, but if display:table is supported, I feel more comfortable with that because e.g. a text-to-speech tool will "see" ordinary spans instead of a table.

By the way: thanks for quick and useful feedback. I now have a few more ideas how to use things.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote