View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
My Opinion of the DR1000

I was one of the first to order a DR1000S, and because Irex won't deign to communicate with me I've had a fair amount of time to ponder the features of the Digital Reader. I've come to realize that it costs too much and does too little.

At $750, the DR1000S has to compete with similarly price laptops. I think it needs to be able to match the document handling abilities of a laptop. I know it doesn't have a keyboard, but that wasn't my point: it also lacks Wifi. And this shortcoming is the killer. I want Wifi because I want the Digital Reader to be able to match 3 abilities of a $750 laptop:

1. print using a network printer;
2. send and receive documents from an email account;
3. download and open files from a network hard disk.

The DR1000S cannot do this. Instead, it requires that you plug it in to a computer anytime you want to transfer a file. This makes it a $750 accessory to your computer. I don't want an accessory. For what this thing costs, I want it to be completely independent.

I know someone is going to counter with a comment about how Eink is a more pleasant experience. I agree, it is better that LCD. However, I must ask: is it the better experience worth $750 extra to add the DR1000S as an accessory to your computer? Since I am not bothered by LCD screens, I do not think so.

And yes, I do know about the DR1000SW and that it has Wifi. But until I know that it can do the 3 things I listed, my position will not change.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote