View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #33
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by chantelbrenna View Post
I am currently doing a research project on eBooks, and I stumbled across this website (hallelujah!). I have read through some of the threads, and I want to get an idea of why you enjoy reading, writing, or publishing eBooks, as opposed to hard-copy books.

I don't currently own an eReader, but my mom has a Nook, and so I have the Nook app on my phone and we buy and share books. I really love it, because it allows me to carry books with me on my phone at school, instead of lugging around one more book, in addition to my text books and binders.

I know this is a really broad question, but I want to leave the discussion open to whatever you want to say! All of your feedback is appreciated.
Chantelbrenna,
I would agree with almost all of what the others have mentioned, but ebooks are also a continuation of the swift changing world of communications that, for me, began in the mid 1970's. I realized that the world would change because of the computer chip in a manner just as profound as the change experienced by my grandfather because of the automobile. First, the personal computer, then the internet, and now mobile personal devices, including phones, tablets, and ereaders. Before I die, I want to experience as many of these changes as I can, because I am fascinated by them and the way they have improved my life.

I've always loved to write, but before the word processors and spell check, I could not write in a manner that was legible to anyone but myself. Before ereaders, I could not make my words available to more than a few people. I love to read, but it is an expensive hobby. Ereaders have dramatically reduced my costs.

You have received a lot of great answers from the people here at mobilereads, but now I want to switch subjects for a moment. As I've said, the computer chip changed the world in a manner much like the automobile did. If I were your age, I would start learning all I could about the solar panel, because I believe that this simple technology will have a profound effect on your world. I would be especially alert to improvements in the so-called "smart meter," because it is not smart, it is still very dumb, as dumb as 8088 chips were compared to the chips made today. And I would also be on the lookout for an "intelligent electrical socket." That probably will not be the name that is used, but it will do the same thing and that is, it will accept commands from the "smart meter." I strongly suspect that the solar panel, the smart meter, and the intelligent electrical socket will change your world in the same way the computer chip changed mine.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote