View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 04:06 AM   #1
violagirl
violagirl is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Looking for a budget eReader with a few caveats

I primarily live in the US (though I'm currently in Korea until mid June), and I am considering getting an eReader, but a budget one, because I will only be able to use it for a year or two, because I plan to move outside of the US in a few years to Asia, and realize I would not be able to use an eReader abroad.

I have a few needs. The main requirement is it MUST be E Ink, and it CAN'T be a Kindle, because I love library books, so I want to use my eReader to check out ebooks as well. So no LCD screen, and no Kindle.

Next, I'd like it to be decent at displaying PDFs. I realize no eReader displays PDFs that well due to a small screen, but some seem to do better than others.

Lastly, I'd like it to be able to display documents in Asian languages (Japanese, Korean). I realize due to region blocking, I couldn't buy Japanese books unfortunately, but if I had a PDF or doc file in Japanese, I'd like an eReader that can display it.

Are there any decently priced eReaders that fit the three things above? Wifi is NOT important to me, I don't even mind not having it. My max price is $150, but $100 would be much more preferred if available.

Once I am living somewhere permanently, I will buy a good eReader that will last me, but for now, I just need a budget one for a year or two. I'm also open to getting a used one if those are reliable (though I'm not sure of a safe place to get them used).

Thanks in advace,
MM
violagirl is offline   Reply With Quote