View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #18590
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I've started Partials by Dan Wells, post-apocalyptic/dystopia-ish YA. Tentatively rather enjoying it so far - there are some things I find it hard to suspend disbelief over, but the characters feel realistic and the plot, while still slow-going for now, seems solid.

Spoiler:
One thing I just find very hard to believe: if a war and then a virus, about eleven years before, has wiped out nearly all of humanity, apart from ~40,000 people who were immune to the virus, and every single baby born since then has died within days, I just can't believe it's not occurred to anyone before our 16-year-old protagonist now to test the blood of the immune survivors for the key to their immunity, instead of forcing everyone to give birth to more and more babies so they could test the babies when they inevitably die / hope that maybe eventually one is born immune.

They have the technology, there are plenty of adults still around, and in over ten years, it's not occurred to anyone to see what made those ~40,000 people immune when billions died (and newborns still keep dying)?

Maybe there's an explanation later on. ~hopes~
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote