View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 04:15 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Stephan:

Well, if you can create what is always the missing piece--getting the source material INTO XML, that would be nice. Everyone here, I'm sure, is well aware of the XML-->XSLT discussions that go back quite a way; I remember when we all thought it was going to be the next big thing, but of course, that never really happened, except for medical records and the like.

The problem, as I see it, is that most content creators can't be weaned from their existing tools, and have zero interest in writing in markup. Markup is reasonably fashionable and popular amongst geeks, but not authors. And with regard to inline styling, everyone in the business has to clear that crap out every day, ranging from any type of Adobe output (whether INDD or simply Acrobat Pro) to Word to Wordperfect, and the like.

It's one of the reasons that I usually recommend XYWriter to people who want a "writing" program, because it simply outputs RTF, which at least doesn't bollix up the content with ad hoc styling other than bold, italic, underline. But even that isn't a fix.

My {sigh} moment about all of this is just that training writers to read the instructions and use the software correctly may be your hurdle. I know that I have maybe 1 out of several hundred authors that actually understand styles, or even headers versus paragraphs, in Word, et al, so...I presume that your writing program will somehow force them to do this. In that case, it has possibilities.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote