View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
And besides... I hear it doesn't hold a candle to the original, anyway.

EDIT: I admit that I've never read any of Card's work, but I always have to wonder whether his (admitted) opinions on social hot-button topics are really that obvious in his writing... or do people tend to shoe-horn his publicly stated, "real-world" opinions into his fictional work where it otherwise might not exist—without razor-thin analogies and biased analysis?

Either way... it's a perfect example of why I try to be as ignorant of authors personal opinions/politics as I can be. If I find something in their writing that doesn't quite sit right with me, I may stop reading, but I prefer to let their "officially" published words rule my opinions.

EDIT #2: Scott Lynch, author of The Lies of Locke Lamora (from The Gentlemen Bastards series), chimes in on the subject.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-08-2011 at 12:00 PM.