View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Frankly, I don't believe that figure. I haven't read the report, so I might be wrong about that. But the figure simply isn't plausible. If they're talking about the entire Internet population of the UK, I doubt if 1% have even read an ebook, much less downloaded one, legally or otherwise. And, of those who have downloaded, I suspect the majority don't know whether they did so legally or not.

I'd also question what sample they used for their research. So many of these studies are based on surveys carried out on-line, from people who happen to visit a certain website. That is not a cross-section of the population. It is a self-selected group that happened to come across the survey and were inclined to respond.

Mike
They do have a footnote indicating that their base is small
Quote:
34 The legal groups are too small to break down further regarding spend.
35 Caution: Low base (58)
I'm surprised that the number is so low.
I was in the UK in 2003 and people seemed to read a lot more than in North America. Of course there were few hand held reading devices then so not the same thing.

I am also amazed that people are paying so much more for music than everything else.
Quote:
Those who consumed a mix of legal and illegal music claimed to spend the most on music (£95.31), with ‘100% illegal’ (£27.07) the least. Spend
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote