View Single Post
Old 10-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #11
photoluminations
photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
html-->mobi vs. html-->epub-->mobi

OK, maybe it pays to listen to people who know more than I do! And take advantage of the Calibre changes that made output work in mobi.

I am evaluating two methods, html-->mobi vs. html-->epub-->mobi.

In Calibre, the output to mobi is specified as to KINDLE DX (in absence of a FIRE output in Calibre).

1. html-->mobi

Small images are good, crisp.
Medium images: crisp, some OK in size, some too big/too deep, push caption to next page. Need to work on that.
Large images: crisp, ok.
new problem: several blank screens as if an extra page had been inserted.
Main problem with going html-->mobi is I cannot go in and work on the metadata etc. as I can if I unzip the epub. Need to look at Sigil for these tasks.

METHOD 2. html-->epub-->mobi.

I fed the Calibre-generated epub back into Calibre, with input=epub, output=mobi.

I opened the mobi file in the Kindle previewer. Lo! The small images display well. The medium images are a mixed bag, some ok, some too small, some too large. The large images are too small.

What I will do next is to take the epub file, unzip it,and replace all the images (which have been reduced by Calibre) and insert the original input images and see if that will take care of the remaining issues.
photoluminations is offline   Reply With Quote