View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013, 05:35 AM   #3229
albel727
albel727 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I wonder, why in the attached jailbreak archive there's no

Code:
update_jailbreak_0.11.N_k3w-3.0-to-3.2_UNinstall.bin
Thing is, I only consulted my firmware version (3.2.1) and didn't pay heed to the serial number (B006 in my case), and attempted installing

Code:
update_jailbreak_0.11.N_k3w-3.0-to-3.2_install.bin
first.

It failed but I didn't pay attention either, 'cause there seemingly were no alternatives (I knew my kindle had wifi, so that ruled out k3g in my mind, and k3w is said to be for 3.3 firmware), and proceeded to install kindlet stuff.

When it came to

Code:
update_kindlet-dev-20130710-k3g-B006_install.bin
I was finally introduced to the concept of serial numbers, and the fact that B006 there was only for k3g confused the crap out of me, but I boldly marched on. It is only when KindleLauncher told me I don't have jailbreak installed, I realized I might have actually failed in the very first step. So I tried installing

Code:
update_jailbreak_0.11.N_k3w_install.bin
which failed too (I didn't note how exactly), and then, after googling out the correspondence between serials and kindle variants,

Code:
update_jailbreak_0.11.N_k3g_install.bin
which... gave me "found another jailbreak, aborting...". Naturally I tried to uninstall, starting with

Code:
update_jailbreak_0.11.N_k3w_uninstall.bin
but when that didn't help either, and I got desperate,

Code:
update_jailbreak_0.11.N_k3g_uninstall.bin
and even kindlet uninstallers. Neither of which helped. In the epithome of rushed decisions I even did a factory-reset, which didn't help either. All attempts to install k3g end up in "found another jailbreak, aborting...".

As you can obviously see, I'm trying to become the textbook example of how NOT to do firmware updates (in my defence, I was half asleep). But while I'm waiting for my name to be remembered in history, I wonder whether there's something that's left to be done in my case, besides throwing my kindle out of the window in a fit of uncontrollable rage?

I'm pretty sure that for all things I installed, the only corresponding uninstaller I haven't run is for the k3w-3.0-3.2 version, simply because it isn't in the archive. (Not even sure why they don't come in one-size-fits-all uninstaller even, but w/e).
albel727 is offline   Reply With Quote