View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 06:14 AM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
[...]Five of the rules are de rigueur for nearly everyone, but I wonder how many of us who learned to write from television, pop music and the web actually follow the first.
If you learned to write from television, pop music or the web then you would probably believe that using cliché was de rigueur. Which, I suppose, was your point, but it also follows that using phrasing that has become comfortable for your readers can have some benefits (in limited doses). For example you can say in a few well known, clichéd, words what may otherwise take much longer (which is where rule 6 comes in, I guess). Like so much in writing, it's a balancing act with no clear boundaries.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote