View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
There's another way

You can probably get the Nook to display your books the way you seem to want with Calibre. It has several ways to display your library. The first time you turn it on it goes by default to the "Home" view which is more of a sales site. Not the best if you have more than a few books.

Press the "n" button and you get a menu across the bottom. From the choices listed touch "Library" and you get the Library view. It's default is to show "All" the books on the Nook, sorted by "Most Recent", "Title", or "Author".

Calibre nests books by organizing them in folders by author's name. If you like to organize your book collection by author the Nook will do it for you. Here's how.

From the Library screen touch the control called "All" (show all books). That opens a drop down menu with several alternative choices but for my example here choose "My Files".

On the My Files screen the default is to show the files on "Nook files" meaning those on the Nook. I'm assuming you want to use the SD card, which is better with this method anyway, so you tap the control called "Memory Card".

There are two views possible. One looks like a Rubix cube with 9 little boxes--that shows the folders and books as icons and it's the one you want for this demonstration. (The other gives you a long list of all the books on the SD card).

At first you just get some of Nook's housekeeping files with names like "driveinfo.calibre, and LOST.DIR. Leave those alone and touch the folder icon called "My Files".

Now you get icons for Books, Documents, Magazines and Newspapers. Let's keep this simple, you just want to keep books stored from your Calibre, so touch the icon called "Books".

Now you get the setup Calibre designed. For example, you see icons for Austen, Jane (6); Dickens, Charles (8); Twain, Mark (3), etc.

Touch "Austen, Jane (6)" and you get separate icons for each of the six Jane Austen books on your Nook. Touch one of them and it renders the book.

Once you set it to open to "My Files" like this it will go back to that starting place until you change it and when Calibre adds new authors, or adds books to the folder of authors you already have on your SD card, those books will show up inside that author's folder.

On my Nook it doesn't display the cover art for books in the "My Files" view and I've never troubled to try and find out if there's a way to get them.

I forgot to mention. The SD card is just an SD card. You don't have to follow Calibre's organization entirely, you can make your own folders. For example, a folder called "Library Books" lets you drag and drop library books in there and they'll show up in your library that way.

Apologies, one last caveat: DRM (how could I forget). My example shows only public domain authors but you can put books with DRM that you buy from any bookstore: Kobo, Books on Board, ebooks.com, Google, IndieBound, etc. Nook renders books with Adobe DRM too. Oddly, it's a little harder to get B&N books into this method of organization but it can be done. You have to install the Nook app on your computer, download the books through it, then drag-and-drop them onto the SD card in the right folder or, easier, copy them into Calibre and let it handle the organization.

Last edited by 6charlong; 08-09-2012 at 05:55 PM.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote