View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 04:10 AM   #57
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccadin View Post
First, I would like to thank you for the knowledge and insight you have continued to share with the MobileRead.com community. I recently purchased an entry-level (5th generation) Kindle, and your old posts have been a wonderful point of reference for my first attempt at hacking. I'm also intrigued by the idea of combining an e-Ink display with an external keyboard to create an outdoor workstation. The best solution I have been able to find thus far is the "Kindleberry Pi" from Max Ogden.

However, I'm curious if this can be done without the use of an intermediary. Can you please elaborate upon what you meant by this comment?

"EDIT: The above information was obtained from early posts by yifanlu and others. After reading the Freescale iMx.50 reference manual, I discovered that the host-only port is internal, and the OTG port is external. So a USB keyboard CAN work plugged into the external USB port (but needs software support)."

Is this a decent alternative?

http://pepijndevos.nl/2012/10/08/kin...-terminal.html
http://pepijndevos.nl/2012/10/26/spa...to-serial.html
Thats a kindle 4 - not a kindle 5.

The work has been done to get a kindle 4 to support an external keyboard.
I have listed out on at least 3 occasions the entire list of resources required to get the job done.

choff is the user whose MR posts and website contains the info you need.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote