View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
etienne
etienne began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Reading / handwriting on a PDF

Hello,

I am pondering getting an Edge. My hope is that I could use it to read, on the eInk screen, and hand-annotate some PDFs, preferably in landscape mode (I tipically read two-column articles). But from this (and other) forums and from the website of Entourage, it seems I would have problems.

Question 1: Does the Edge really not rotate PDFs to landscape orientation on the eInk screen? As a workaround, has anyone tried to rotate (i.e. modify) the PDF itself and open the resulting wide-but-not-high PDF (which should then be readable when I rotate the Edge 90degrees, resulting in what looks like landscape mode).

Question 2: When exporting handwritten annotations to PDF, is the resulting file always a pixmap-based PDF, i.e. not searchable? In comparison, the Sony readers don't export to PDF: the PDF is left untouched and there are some XML and SVG files that describe the handwriting. In theory, one could merge the PDF and SVG into one PDF from the command-line (I use mostly Linux). Could anyone tell me how the handwritten annotations are represented on the Edge?

Cheers,

Etienne
etienne is offline   Reply With Quote