View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
I use something similar to theducks method;

<span class="hellip">.&thinsp;.&thinsp;.</span>
.hellip{letter-spacing:0.1em;white-space:nowrap}

or sometimes

<span class="hellip1">.&nbsp;.&nbsp;.</span>
.hellip{letter-spacing:-0.2em;white-space:nowrap}

I use thinspace or non-breaking spaces, whichever is closest to the effect I'm trying to achieve. Relying solely on letter-spacing to adjust the distance between the dots is unreliable since letter-spacing is not part of the epub specification. There is a better chance for the renderer to obey to the white-space-property than the letter-spacing. This provides a method to adjust the "air" between dots with letter-spacing, and provides a fallback to nbsp or thinsp when letter-spacing is not provided.

I use the same trick with double and single quotationmarks to get some space, but with a fallback to a thinspace that doesn't wrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
.olddot {display: block; letter-spacing: 6pt; }
Don't you mean "display:inline-block"?
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote