View Single Post
Old 01-26-2007, 02:22 AM   #10
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojleblanc
Hmm... I guess I have a different opinion... I'm pretty consumer tech savy, but the myriad of tools to convert docs into readable PDFs on the Sony Reader is really overwhelming. So, I would love it if MobileRead produced a newsletter that I could simply drag to my Sony Reader to view. Someone, I don't recall who, posted an issue of the Economist in PDF. It looked great on the Reader. I'll look for the thread and post here.

Also, I like the idea of an email subscription. That way, I don't have to remember to grab the newsletter.
I could do this with RSS, instead of using some tool, a simple URL would do the trick and format everything for your Sony Reader (or any other device).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwood
Given that you are going to produce a newsletter (if only because you can), then include all articles for the week even if they never made it to a splash presentation on the front page. Also, include all new and updated posts for the week.

If you want a daily version then include the new articles for that day along with associated threads. I would favor a version that had all new and updated threads for the day.

Now I know this could be generated on the fly as each person requests his or her own copy. My background is big iron (read mainframes) and the policy there would be to select a date change (like GMT) and preproduce the newsletter so all we have to do is to download it. This ensures that we don't miss an article if we download Wednesday's daily version 3 hours after we downloaded Tuesday's daily version or get the same article twice if we download a few hours earlier on the second day.

RSS is nice and great for those that like it. I never liked the process that much and dropped using it. For me the chance to read MR offline on the Sony Reader sounds like something I would enjoy. I could (and would) explore areas that I don't get into now.
Well... I could store the last time you downloaded the PDF and then generate the new PDF only with articles published after this date. This way you generate the PDF whenever you want, and you're always up to date with all the news.
I don't think that preproducing is such a big issue, it would be easy to generate this in realtime...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote