View Single Post
Old 03-22-2024, 07:37 PM   #7
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I think they are talking about empty cells <tr><td></td></tr> interspersed in the table to allow splitting. If I were to use that technique I would give the empty tr a class with a height of zero or something so it doesn’t look wonky.
Thanks. I was having trouble with that terminology as I hadn't come across anything described that way.

Quote:
I’ve tried doing the two-column thing and never got it to work reliably. Divs and/or tables worked fine on a LARGE display but failed miserably on a phone.
Yep. It works fine when the ereader can scroll the page, like Calibre Viewer, then the entire column shows, no problems. But then on the Kobo, which is page flips, the text is lost.

How is this not considered a major bug. Anytime an ereader fails to display text, then it needs to be treated as a bug.

Quote:
My recommendation would be to use queries in your css. If the device supports multi-columns css and has a big enough display use the columns css. Otherwise, just use css to style it how you wish, like a newspaper article for example, (font, alignment, indent, etc. ) but only a single column. The user still gets the feel of reading the news and can actually read it.
That is what I have decided to do. Ignore the two columns and style it as a single narrow blockquote, probably with a different font.

The entire pbook is a bit weird. I think too many liberties were taken with styling and it is a real jumble.
- newspaper columns.
- chapters in monospace font
- staggered paragraphs - narrow left justified, followed by narrow centered, followed by narrow right justified paragraphs.
- paragraphs that are boxed
- paragraph in sans

I was able to replicate all the others styles, but the newspaper styling had me stumped.

Quote:
EDIT:

Here is an example of what I was talking about. Yes, Jon, this is an example of the css...we know you would change it to something else...
Thanks, I'll give it a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
LoIn the past I wrote many posts about how to deal with kind of layout, even fake columns with a table and its issues under ADE. Do a search in Google with
Thanks @RbnJrg
I actually came across your second link and tried the code there. It worked and displayed the entire text but, because the paragraphs are not of equal size between column 1 & 2, there were too many gaps in each column and didn't look nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Columns only sometimes works no matter what you do. I've edited some PD ebooks to have the columns sequential in a logical fashion. Slavishly copying more complex paper layouts is pointless unless everyone is using 10" screens and even then it can fail. Unless it's an actual table it works better to make columns just be regular sequential paragraphs in the order they will be read.
Yes, I've decided to ignore the double columns and style a single blockquote for those sections. I've already spent quite a lot of time on it, and don't really want to force something to work that obviously doesn't work.
Thanks.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote