View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #47
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwerm View Post
Waiting 4 months for eBooks is the equivalent to waiting for a movie to be released on DVD (or netflix) instead of seeing it in a movie theatre. On an individual basis, yes, it's disheartening, and I'd rather have my $9.99 ebook the same day my neighbor gets his hardback book. But, I can also see the big picture, I'm all in favor of capitalism and free markets, so I'm okay with publishers implementing this strategy to make more money (as long as they use it to go and find new talented writers and publish more great books).
Not really. In the theatre, I get a big screen, screaming audio, limited release. The DVD release is different. A pbook and an ebook are the same thing - all I am doing is reading words, and the pbook doesn't have any additional/different words or manner of presentation. It is just a different wrapper. There is no reason that the author should get less $$ from an ebook versus a pbook. The only price differential should be for the format - ebooks don't have to be printed, bound, delivered, returned, displayed. The reason SK gave for delaying the ebook was that he wanted to give the small independent bookstores a chance to make some $$. Only problem is, the major booksellers got into a price war, so no one made any money. And even though I could have bought the pbook for less, I don't want a pbook. I have not bought a single pbook since I got my kindle. We walked through a B&N the other night, and I was kind of nostalgic. But then when I looked at the displays, they didn't look any more interesting than what I see online. The small independent bookstores are going to go the way of the small independent record stores. That is sad, but I really like itunes better than my deceased local record store. I'm sure ebook stores will step up to the plate as well.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote