View Single Post
Old 09-06-2008, 02:18 PM   #55
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I had a conversation with a conservative Christian friend of mine about this yesterday. His opinion was that the HP books were inappropriate for children, because they portray children performing witchcraft. To give him credit, he had read about 1/3 of the first book, at least, rather than forming this opinion based solely on published reviews or whatever. I suggested that it should depend on the definition of witchcraft. The HP world is a fantasy world in which some people are genetically predisposed to be able to perform "magic," but they don't need to go to any supernatural agency to be granted these powers. I think that's rather different than what the Bible (or even typical Christian tradition) prohibits. He acknowledged that this was an interesting point of view that he'd consider. I'll have to ask him what he thinks of the Oz books. (I doubt he's read them. He doesn't read a lot of fiction.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote