View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by uebyn View Post
The website owner is right: Just because you CAN design your own book cover doesn't mean you SHOULD.

The book cover matters a lot.

I can still remember my first Murakami book, the Wind Up Bird Chronicle. I was browsing at the bookstore, and the cover caught my eye:

And so I flipped through it, read the first page, and immediately knew I had to buy it. But if the cover had been one below, then I probably wouldn't have noticed it:

It's not terrible, but it's not eye-catching. The ones with half-naked Asian women on the covers are the worst - I wonder who approved them as the book cover in the first place?

So yes, cover art is important.
I'd see the first cover and pass the book by without a second look. It's blindingly bad. The second has a cat tail and I'd also bypass it as it's boring and features a cat.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote