View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #10
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pixi & PC
Thanks for chiming in, Fbone! I always enjoy reading your posts in the Deals and Freebies section (and elsewhere), and have snagged several books you posted that looked good to me. (Thank you!) A 5 minute review of some of your posts in that forum show about 15 books described as self-pubs. Would the exact same mentions have been less worthwhile, or less valid, if they were in a thread with "Self-Pub" somewhere in the thread title? Would they be less worthwhile if they included the comment "I've read another of this author's books & enjoyed it" instead of "many favorable reviews but some look suspicious"?
Of course there's a risk of flooding the forums with self-pub self-promos, but that risk is already there & already dealt with pretty effectively. The risk exists whether or not there is a thread specifically featuring self-pub deals/freebies. I'm sure there are other websites, but I find myself trusting Mobileread readers (and Mobileread site moderation) more than any other forums I've found, unless they're dedicated to a very specific genre.
Frankly, a few months ago, I wouldn't have seen any real need to suggest the possibility of such a thread in the "Deals" forum. But over the last few months, there have been a number of genre-specific threads originated, and it seems like most major-genre books are posted in those genre-specific threads. (Mystery, SciFi, Romance, etc.) For the most part, I appreciate this, since it's easy to find listings of the genres I enjoy reading, and skip others. A couple of the originators of those threads have specifically asked in the originating post that self-pubs not be posted within that thread. I personally feel an obligation to try and respect the OP's desire, although I think of it more as a request than a rule. But this leaves self-pubs either with nowhere to be listed, or listed only as a single-book thread, or part of a conglomeration thread (as most posts were during the last period when you were regularly posting on the Deals & Freebies forum). And to me, the best reason to try ANY book (self-pub or not) is because someone I feel I trust says they've read & enjoyed it.

KentE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
There were 670 free Kindle titles added today along with the 17,000 titles on Smashwords. There is a risk of flooding the Deals forum with these books which is something the moderators may want to avoid.

Also, there are many other self/indie published "deals and recommendation" websites and blogs around for people to use to find their next read.
KentE is offline   Reply With Quote