View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #18
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
I haven't noticed any real overlap between the NKJV Study Bible and any others and I really like the study notes. The ones I use most often are the NIV, ESV and NKJV Study Bibles and the MacArthur.

The NKJV Study Bible used to be called "The Nelson Study Bible", though, so if you have that one, it's just an older edition.

If you want to take a quick look, you can download a PDF of the entire book of John from the NKJV Study Bible.

http://www.nelsonfree.com/nkjvstudyjohn
Thanks. I'll take a good look at what I can (previews, etc.) of the NKJV Study Bible, based on what you said. I don't think that the pdf of John would help, because I'm mainly interested in not duplicating the study tools, which would not be included with that pdf, I feel sure.

When I mentioned "previews, etc." that made me think of a hint that some of you may find helpful. This applies especially to books of "Christian Interest" and you will see why.

You may think that the only way to get previews of a book are to get them at Amazon. There are more ways. I know of two. One is to go to books.google.com/books and search for the book. If you don't see "preview" under one edition of the book, keep looking for other editions. Sometimes there are previews, sometimes there are not, but when there are previews, there usually will be additional text to preview than what you can get from Amazon. And, where Amazon's preview is usually just of the first few pages of the book, if you get one at Google it will be scattered throughout the book. In fact, there is often, if not always, a link to a "Surprise Me!" where Google will take you to a random position in the text.

The other way to get a preview is to go to a Bible software vendor. WordSearchBible (http://wordsearchbible.com) provides "samples" of books (note: these books use a proprietary software system and are not standalone books that you can buy and use by themselves). They will not have every "Christian Interest" book, by a long shot, and there are no fiction books, to speak of. The previews at times are random, I think, and sometimes are near the beginning of the book, but generally near the point where Amazon's previews end. From WordSearchBible's homepage, which URL is above, go to the menu on the left hand side to find the book in which you're interested. Then, when you get to the book's web page, there will be a photo of the cover of the book on the right side of the page, and underneath that is a button that says "Sample." You know what to do then.

I am not sure if other Bible software companies offer book previews or samples. Now and then I run across complete lists of Bible software companies and, when I get time I will try to check all of them to see if others of them offer previews or samples that might give you even more text to look at to know whether or not you want to buy a book. If and when I do I will re-post the information in this post and the information that I get from that investigation on a more appropriate thread.

Of course, if you use Amazon you can always buy an ebook from them and, under what I consider a very liberal policy, if you don't like it, return within 7 days for a full refund. However, I'm not sure that that is one of Amazon's acceptable reasons for returning a Kindle ebook and personally I would rather not do that.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 06-09-2014 at 08:37 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote