View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #35815
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Thanks Stitchawl, I remember being totally into macrame; I made belts, purses, plant hangers, pouches, etc.. When I moved, I found a few pieces that I had made and finally tossed them. Those were all made with the thicker beige rope and now days I see some made with the pretty colors and thinner string that is much more appealing.

Charging my phone and thinking about getting ready for work.
Back in the late '60's, my wife and I sold macreme plant hangers, wine bottle holders, belts, bags, and wall decorations (and of course, candles) at Flea Markets in So.Cal, as part of our money-maker contribution to the commune we were living in. No one had heard of macreme in those days, so they sold very well. We too used the heavy brown jute cords, and some wooden beads as well.

A lady in the booth next to ours was selling craft supplies. During the day we were chatting and she suggested that we take some string, beads, and a mimeographed (no copiers in those days) sheet of instructions, and sell "Macreme Kits!" I thought she was nuts. Who in their right mind would buy a bag full of string and a couple of beads? So we never gave it another thought...

Until 2-3 years later when we saw "Macreme Kits" being sold in just about EVERY department store, craft shop, gift store, etc., etc., etc. Somebody got very rich on the idea that 'we' thought would never sell...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote