View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 04:48 AM   #35810
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Wow, Stitchawl. Fantastic find.

I'm usually the one that has a garage sale or donates something and I later find out that it was actually worth a lot of money. Excess junk to me, but a fantastic find for someone else.
Don't feel too badly...
My father was an oral surgeon/reconstrutive dentist with his office in the same building we lived in. It was my job as a young boy to pick up the latest issues of all the 'important' comic books each week for the waiting room; Superman, Wonder Woman, Sgt.Rock, Batman, Archie and Veronica, Little Lulu, Casper the Friendly Ghost, etc., etc. My mother picked up the grown-up's magazines. Each week my mother would take the old comics out of the waiting room, and put them into a box. I guess I did this once a week from age 8 or 9 until my later teens. And each week my mother would take them out of the waiting room and put them into the box... er... boxes... Many of these comics never even got opened as only a few of my father's patients were kids. These comics were in pristine condition when my father retired and they moved south. Of course, before moving my mother threw away all the old boxes...

With the current value of old comic books today, I can only imagine that she must have thrown away $50,000- $75,000 worth of comics without realizing it.

But it runs in the family. When my father and his brother were young, each evening they would throw their pennies into empty gallon pickle jars. By the time they moved out of the house there were probably a dozen or more filled jars. And just as probably, at least half the pennies were old 'Indian Head' pennies, VERY valuable to collectors. The other half also probably had quite a few valuable coins. But Grandma had no idea... so she just carted them off to the back, and exchanged them for paper dollars....

You're not alone.

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 03-11-2013 at 04:51 AM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote