Thread: Tablet N2ACard on Nook HD+
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post
Has anyone used the N2ACard on a Nook HD + (the 9 inch tablet)?

According to their website it enables you to boot from an SD card into Android Jelly Bean.

Has anyone tried it? Is it stable? What is the speed like? I have some concerns that running an OS from a Class 4 microSD card might be slow. Does it lose any functionality?

I originally bought the software download from N2ACards to make my own microSD - failed miserably. Probably a concern with my PC. But they refunded me. So I purchased the pre-made SD card from them with the software already loaded. It is in the mail. They offer a 30 day return. In the interim I had returned the Nook to B&N, so I will need to purchase it again. I am hoping that the store will let me install the microSD card into the shop model. But I value your input.
Running an OS requires fast reads/writes of relatively short data blocks that are typically "scatterly" placed. Media (e.g., video) content storage/retrieval on the other hand requires fast reads/writes of relatively long data blocks that are most likely contiguous. Most SDHC classes 10 and 6 are geared and hence optimized for the latter use, at the expense of the former. As such class 4 SDcards (in particular some Sandisk class 4 models) have been found to be best performer for hosting a tablet ROM. See the XDA thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1005633 for more detailed performance comparison of different SDcard brands/models/classes.

Also, FWIW, outfits such as N2A do not develop the ROMs they are selling but rather just re-package the very same ROMs which their real developers make available freely on XDA forums -- and often with the clear stipulation "do not sell pre-made sdcard" -- with the convenience of a ready-to-use card and purported "technical support". As such, whatever outstanding issues with beta versions of these free ROMs are likely to be found in the versions on the pre-made cards that these outfits sell.

Last edited by livramax; 01-27-2013 at 11:17 AM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote