View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #12
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Um, you do realize that "Grand Wizard" can have many meanings, don't you??
Possibly so, but the first thing I think of when I hear or see it is "racist dudes in white sheets." And I'm an active member of both Pagan and fannish communities, which talk about various kinds of "wizards" in everyday discussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I also don't believe any malice was intended, but as a native Southerner, it was also the first thing I thought about when I saw it. MobileRead is an International community, and I'm sure the phrase has different connotations in different countries and regions, which is why it's never been a huge deal for me; but as U.S. citizens make up a sizable proportion of our International community, I certainly wouldn't miss the phrase were it to disappear.
I hadn't noticed it being used; if I had, I'd've checked the rest of the person's data. If they were from outside the US, I might assume it was just a cute way of declaring themselves higher-status than a "Wizard"; if they were from the US, especially from the south, I'd expect it was a strong statement about their political leanings.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote