View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #15
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
People have brought up both of my problems with this poll - it goes from "avoid" to "prefer". That implies a love 'em or hate 'em attitude.

I love serials as a concept (as matter of fact I'm serializing one of my ebooks on a blog right now, in prep for publishing the sequel), but there are too many different definitions to say whether I'd like a particular one or not.

In the old days, serials might be published as chapters with cliffhangers, but often they did NOT have cliffhangers - each episode was often almost complete in itself. Sometimes the story was wrapped up, but it just had a little hook toward the next story.

The Dain Curse (Dashiell Hammett), for instance, brings each section to a close with a fully resolved mystery... except there is one more puzzle that leads to the next story.

Even the early movie serials like the Perils of Pauline often were a series of stories connected by a single thread. The "cliffhanger" endings to episodes were added to the genre later. But even then, they were often just a gimmick to create anticipation, and each story really was designed to be viewed independently of the others (because people often did miss episodes).

So yes, I love serials, but I can't say I prefer them, and I certainly don't avoid them. I agree with those who say they would buy them if the stories were complete and satisfying in themselves.

Camille
DaringNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote