View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #199
pricecw
Zealot
pricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheese

Device: enTourage eDGe
Yes, but what I am saying is, the testing isn't designed to catch everything. The rules for consumer devices don't require it, so it isn't always done. And when you do catch one, a FW change can change the emissions from the device.

For example, continue the previous train of thought. The stub at 10MHz, the radiated EM from that is blocked by the connector, at 50MHz, it shoots through. That isn't normally caught in testing.

The big thing about the rules, they are in place for seeing you safely from point A to point B. If you are inconvenienced for a brief time during take-off and landing, the rules don't care, since the goal is safe delivery of hundreds of people. To remove such restrictions, someone needs to convince the rule makers the potential risk is worth removing the inconvenience.

In Europe, are the phones allowed to be used during takeoff and landing? I agree, I don't think the likelihood is high that they will cause a problem, but I'm not the one that has to agree to remove the restrictions, I'm just pointing out that EM is not as easy as some here want to believe.

If I am reading the normal specs of the ASSPs driving most e-readers, I think we are dealing with at least a dozen fundamental frequencies in the device, and if it has good power management, probably many more than that.

--Carl
pricecw is offline   Reply With Quote