View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 11:52 PM   #60
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNB View Post
These could be totally fake but here are some supposedly leaked pics.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/04/a...-inch-display/

9.7" screen with native PDF support/rendering. Very interesting is the side by side picture comparing the current Kindle 2 with the "Big Kindle" (Kindle XL?). Looks like almost 2x the screen real estate.

Dave
The screen on the Kindle DX will be about the size of the entire Kindle 2, maybe a smidgen larger. Extrapolating along the lines of the top photo in the article you referenced, that would seem to indicate a 10x7 height/width. This is about the size of a trade paperback comic book.

That's a workable size for a student with a backpack to carry it in and a desk to put it on, but a bit large for a commuter/traveler, and a bit heavy, I'd think, for mobile reading. It's the hardback to the K2's paperback.

It will absolutely need a cover of some kind to protect it in the backpack.

I don't think that the 4 photos at the bottom of the page are legit. The screen in the second photo seems too large compared to the K2 in the same photo. But it could be the angle or something.

It seems to me that the KDX has to support pdf without conversion. That will be nice for all of us, since it suggests an upgrade to the K2 software. It will be interesting to see if it also supports epub. My guess is not, since that would open the K platform & I don't think that Amazon is interested in supporting other ebook stores.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote