View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 11:38 PM   #59
Andural
Andural began at the beginning.

Device: none
Multi-year lurker, first-time poster.

I'm a grad student/part-time lecturer. When I saw this news, I called my textbook rep from a major publisher to see what I could get out of him. He's normally a really up-front guy, but this time, he seemed to be holding things back. (I couldn't tell if he was no answering out of ignorance or knowledge) He told me that one of the books I use (new edition coming out) would still be available in pdf and perhaps also in several "new electronic formats."

I'm not sure what to make of it. If it were really happening, I'd have expected them to work us a little more last week with promises of "e-textbooks."

That said, if textbooks are a big part of the market for a new device, they HAVE to announce it, and allow publishers to get the info to us THIS WEEK. I have to put my orders in at the bookstore next Friday. Speaking for myself, having available e-formats might influence my decision! (particularly if the DRM made sense, either in purchase or rental models - I personally despise all DRM, but, pragmatically, it's a necessity for textbooks, provided that the ownership of a file could be transferred)

The timing seems pretty perfect for textbooks. It has to be now to catch the 09-10 academic year. (there's also several of the "big-market" textbooks with new editions for next year - which also suggests that this is a magic moment to catch the wave)

Speaking as someone who has waited for several years for an affordable large-screen reader, this is almost as exciting as the Plastic Logic announcement was!
Andural is offline   Reply With Quote